Re: rgw: arrow packaging status for quincy

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 4:31 PM Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Personally I think they all should all default to *on*, not off.  Most distros now do have new enough versions of rocksdb, liburing, boost, pmdk, gtest, zstd, and utf8proc. If it's only rhel8 that needs special treatment, why penalize all the other distros.

I’ve never managed these build issues myself, but I think the problem is we periodically expose bugs and need to pin a specific and very-new rocksdb version in order to avoid them (or, more problematically for a dev box, to get the newer version which has the api we start using to deal with the bug). It’s not about having the right version at this moment, but ALWAYS having the right version. Which is a much harder lift.

(These bugs can also be unapparent to downstream packagers, whereas us pinning a specific sha1 is quite clear.)

When I started packaging ceph for Fedora it took me a long time to figure out that these settings existed. Mostly because it never occurred to me to look. Whereas if they all default to on and a system doesn't have a new enough version it usually becomes obvious really quickly.

And I wouldn't assume that most developers just happen to have everything installed already. They might have boost or liburing, but unless they explicitly installed them, they probably don't just happen to have boost-devel or rocksdb-devel installed. And they're going to waste a lot of time building stuff they didn't need to build until they  figure it out.  Some developers may never figure it out. We all know that one guy. :-)

install-deps.sh should handle grabbing any relevant packages.
-Greg