Re: Question regarding v2 clone API and the trash

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 9:58 PM Sofia Enriquez <senrique@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
> I'm interested in getting a better understanding about how the v2 clone API uses the trash because we're using the trash manually to implement a kind of deferred deletion, and I want to make sure that our use doesn't conflict with what Ceph is doing.
>
> There used to be a helpful blog post about the v2 clone API, but it seems to have disappeared: https://ceph.com/community/new-mimic-simplified-rbd-image-cloning/  Can you point me to something similar?

Hi Sofia,

You can still access it at

https://web.archive.org/web/20201109031305/https://ceph.com/community/new-mimic-simplified-rbd-image-cloning/

I'm not sure why it got removed.  Looking at the git history for the
new ceph.io site, it just never made it there although a couple of
other "New in Mimic" posts did.  The old ceph.com site wasn't managed
in git so it's hard to tell.  Mike, any insight?

> In addition I'd like to know why v2 clone api isn't the default and we need to manually enable it?

The concern here is older clients that would choke on the new image
feature bit.  On the userspace side, it's obviously mimic.  On the
kernel client side, it's kernel 4.16 and most (but not all) upstream
LTS kernels.  If you don't have to worry about anything older, you can
set require-min-compat-client setting to mimic and get v2 behavior by
default from then on:

  $ ceph osd set-require-min-compat-client mimic

Thanks,

                Ilya