snappy 1.1.9 disables RTTI, breaking OSD compression plugin

Hi All,

We have a little problem with snappy 1.1.9, which disables RTTI, which
in turn causes runtime failures for the OSD snappy compression plugin.
I opened https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/53060 a little while ago to
document this, and I tried to get RTTI re-enabled in upstream snappy,
but that change was rejected (https://github.com/google/snappy/pull/144).

We had the same problem with leveldb 1.23 (upstream disabled RTTI), and
various downstreams (openSUSE, Fedora, Arch are the three I checked
quickly) are carrying patches to re-enable RTTI in leveldb to fix Ceph
FTBFS problems.  I've since noticed a patch to drop support for leveldb
on our side (https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/43612), which I guess
solves that problem another way ;-) but I doubt we can do the same for
snappy as AIUI it's bluestore's default compression algorithm, so
dropping it would presumably break existing deployed systems.

What should we do here?  Rely on various distros to carry snappy patches
to re-enable RTTI?  Make ceph require snappy < 1.1.9 (which will cause a
different problem for distros)?  Disable RTTI in the ceph compression
plugins (NFI if that's viable/sensible)?  Embed snappy as a git
submodule in Ceph (might be a problem for licensing)?  Something else?

Regards,

Tim
--
Tim Serong