Re: k8s kernel clients: reasonable number of mounts per host, and limiting num client sessions

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 2:48 PM Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-04-05 at 13:55 -0500, Sage Weil wrote:

> > > One copy per-cluster client, which should generally be shared between
> > > mounts to the same cluster, provided that you're using similar-enough
> > > mount options for the kernel to do that.
> >
> > I suspect the problem is that if these are coming from mgr/volumes,
> > then each mount has a unique cephx user (and a client cap that locks
> > them into the exported directory), which means that the client
> > instances can't be shared.
> >

> Oof. You're probably right. In that case, you're sort of SoL since you
> really do have to have a different client if the creds are different.

We might consider:

1. An alternate mgr/volumes auth mode/model where a single user has
access to the whole volume (i.e., all subvolumes).  This might not
require any change in mgr/volumes itself, actually--just use
volume-granularity creds for the client.
2. A hybrid kernel client mode where we can share a single
ceph_{mon,osd}_client for the data path, but have independent
ceph_mds_clients for each mount.  (As a practical matter, the osd caps
are identical, so it's annoying that each mount has independent OSD
connections.)
3. A mechanism for the caps to be refreshed for a client after the
connection is established.  That might allow a per-client auth
identity to be used, and the caps for that client to be adjusted as
volumes are added/removed from that host.

Not really wild about any of these except for the first once, since it
probably requires minimal changes to ceph-csi only... :)