Re: Pacific release candidate v16.1.0 is out

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 7:37:22 PM EDT Josh Durgin wrote:
> There are just a couple remaining issues before the final release.
> Please test it out and report any bugs.

I'm not sure where this RC can be found. I looked at https://github.com/ceph/
ceph/releases but the v16.1.0 tag shows up as from Jan. So I'm not sure if I
am looking in the correct place. I haven't tried this before so I may be
looking in the wrong place.

Context:
I wanted to retest a go-ceph test case that is currently failing on the
version of pacific available from   ceph container (as of last week) [1].
If that doesn't work I wanted to try and apply a patch from a possibly related
issue. But since I haven't compiled ceph before I figured I start with the RC
first before trying out patches.

[1] - https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/49873

Thanks.

> [...]
>    rewrite. This closed a number of bugs and improves usability in
>    terms of size specification and calculation, as well as idempotency
>    behaviour and disk replacement process.  Please refer to
>    https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/ceph-volume/lvm/batch/ for more
>    detailed information.
>
> * Configuration variables for permitted scrub times have changed.  The
>    legal values for ``osd_scrub_begin_hour`` and ``osd_scrub_end_hour``
>    are 0 - 23.  The use of 24 is now illegal.  Specifying ``0`` for
>    both values causes every hour to be allowed.  The legal vaues for
>    ``osd_scrub_begin_week_day`` and ``osd_scrub_end_week_day`` are 0 -
>    6.  The use of 7 is now illegal.  Specifying ``0`` for both values
>    causes every day of the week to be allowed.
>
> * Multiple file systems in a single Ceph cluster is now stable. New
>    Ceph clusters enable support for multiple file systems by
>    default. Existing clusters must still set the "enable_multiple" flag
>    on the fs. Please see the CephFS documentation for more information.
>
> * volume/nfs: Recently "ganesha-" prefix from cluster id and
>    nfs-ganesha common config object was removed, to ensure consistent
>    namespace across different orchestrator backends. Please delete any
>    existing nfs-ganesha clusters prior to upgrading and redeploy new
>    clusters after upgrading to Pacific.
>
> * A new health check, DAEMON_OLD_VERSION, will warn if different
>    versions of Ceph are running on daemons. It will generate a health
>    error if multiple versions are detected.  This condition must exist
>    for over mon_warn_older_version_delay (set to 1 week by default) in
>    order for the health condition to be triggered.  This allows most
>    upgrades to proceed without falsely seeing the warning.  If upgrade
>    is paused for an extended time period, health mute can be used like
>    this "ceph health mute DAEMON_OLD_VERSION --sticky".  In this case
>    after upgrade has finished use "ceph health unmute
>    DAEMON_OLD_VERSION".
>
> * MGR: progress module can now be turned on/off, using the commands:
>    ``ceph progress on`` and ``ceph progress off``.  * An AWS-compliant
>    API: "GetTopicAttributes" was added to replace the existing
>    "GetTopic" API. The new API should be used to fetch information
>    about topics used for bucket notifications.
>
> * librbd: The shared, read-only parent cache's config option
>    ``immutable_object_cache_watermark`` now has been updated to
>    property reflect the upper cache utilization before space is
>    reclaimed. The default ``immutable_object_cache_watermark`` now is
>    ``0.9``. If the capacity reaches 90% the daemon will delete cold
>    cache.
>
> * OSD: the option ``osd_fast_shutdown_notify_mon`` has been introduced
>    to allow the OSD to notify the monitor it is shutting down even if
>    ``osd_fast_shutdown`` is enabled. This helps with the monitor logs
>    on larger clusters, that may get many 'osd.X reported immediately
>    failed by osd.Y' messages, and confuse tools.

--John M.