RE: question: the number of connections in ceph

Ok, I see. Thanks very much.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Just <sjust@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 3:25 AM
To: Yin, Congmin <congmin.yin@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Anthony D'Atri <anthony.datri@xxxxxxxxx>; dev@xxxxxxx; Zhu, Vivian <vivian.zhu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: question: the number of connections in ceph

Mmm, I did the math wrong (I think I left out a factor of pool_size).
For 32 pgs over 3 hosts with 12 osds each, each osd should have ~3 pgs (check ceph pg dump), I think.  Each osd should therefore have ~6 peers on the other two hosts (again, ceph pg dump).  At 3 connections per peer, that would be 18 connections.  You should be able to observe this empirically though -- I've probably got the number of connections/pair wrong.

Btw, 32 pgs for 36 osds is *way* too few.  I think there are some tuning guides around you'll probably want to look at.
-Sam