Re: zfs2ceph and ideas for supporting migration to Ceph

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 4:34 PM Patrick Donnelly <pdonnell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 4:22 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The current zfs2ceph implementation handles zvol sends and transforms
> > them into rbd v1 import streams. I don't recall exactly the reason why
> > we don't use v2 anymore, but I think there was some gaps that made it
> > so it wasn't usable for our case back then (we were using Ceph
> > Luminous). I'm unsure if this is improved now, though it wouldn't
> > surprise me if it has. However, zvols aren't enough for us. Most of
> > our ZFS datasets are in the ZFS filesystem form, not the ZVol block
> > device form. Unfortunately, there is no import equivalent for CephFS,
> > which blocked an implemented of this capability[3]. I had filed a
> > request about it on the issue tracker, but it was rejected on the
> > basis of something was being worked on[4]. However, I haven't seen
> > something exactly like what I need land in CephFS yet.
>
> The reason I closed the ticket is that I thought the request was for a
> mechanism to geo-replicate CephFS. There is on-going work to make that
> feasible lead by Jan and Venky.
>
> If what you actually want is a way to import ZFS file systems, I would
> tell you that rsync is the answer. If you have a binary stream of a
> ZFS file system from `zfs export`, then you will need to import it
> into a new zfs file system and rsync that.

That's fairly painful if I want to preserve all the history of ZFS
snapshots while not retaining ZFS at the end of it. Yes, the problem
is a lot simpler if I just kept ZFS even on the other end.

But I want to be able to map a ZFS send stream to a CephFS import
stream. That should be technically possible, albeit complicated, if
CephFS supported import/export like RBD does.

The idea, after all, is to be pure Ceph at the end.