Ceph plugins

Hello,
according to the ceph documentation, when implementing a new ceph plugin there are three functions that are important to override:
as shown in the documentation:
"
The most important methods to override are:

a serve member function for server-type modules. This function should block forever.

a notify member function if your module needs to take action when new cluster data is available.

a handle_command member function if your module exposes CLI commands.
 "
It is not very clear to me what is the difference between the serve method and the handle_command. when do I use one or another? can someone please explain this a little further
Thanks