Re: crimson-osd vs legacy-osd: should the perf difference be already noticeable?

On 2020-01-14 23:07, Mark Nelson wrote:
On 1/14/20 2:05 PM, Radoslaw Zarzynski wrote:
On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:13 PM Roman Penyaev <rpenyaev@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am I right that you are talking about several connections between
a primary osd and a single client instance?  At least I'm picturing
that each connection represents a software cpu (or how this thread,
which does scheduling, is called?) on osd side.  Then I can imagine
that a request to a PG goes to one of the connections by simple
modulo operation (something like PG_id % Number_of_conns).  So all
requests to a PG from all clients will be eventually handled by one
of the cpu threads.  Something like that?
Yup, basically a set of PGs would get its own crimson-msgr instance
to let clients to talk directly with the proper CPU core – without
crossbar or, in general, any data / message passing between CPU cores
on hot paths.

May I take a look on the link with numbers and what exactly persistent
object store you've mentioning?
+Mark.
This was the testing Mark has initially mentioned. ceph-osd + BlueStore
has been compared with ceph-osd + MemStore  during random reads.
I can't find the spreadsheet but I asked Mark today.

Found it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kfzbvtdhUvrzjn9eW0r6Fqrm8gE6X0bmZnECfrLSt8g/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for sharing.  Do I understand correctly that this ~270k cycles/io
for writes can be treated as a best estimation for objectstore?
Kind of ideal boundary to which we should strive for? (doing comparison
on the same hardware, of course).  Since memstore is log-less, this
estimation, of course, is hardly reachable, but can be treated as
a perfect unattainable reference.

--
Roman