Re: crimson-osd vs legacy-osd: should the perf difference be already noticeable?

On 2020-01-13 22:11, Radoslaw Zarzynski wrote:
On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 7:38 PM Radoslaw Zarzynski <rzarzyns@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  * crimson-osd is single-threaded at the moment. It won't eat more
  than 1 CPU core. That's by design.

Quick supplement on that: actually there is a way to let single
crimson-osd instance to span multiple CPU cores while preserving
the shared-nothing design. Definitely the doors for it should be
kept open but – as it requires an extension to the RADOS
protocol – it would be preferred to not hurry up.

Am I right that you are talking about several connections between
a primary osd and a single client instance?  At least I'm picturing
that each connection represents a software cpu (or how this thread,
which does scheduling, is called?) on osd side.  Then I can imagine
that a request to a PG goes to one of the connections by simple
modulo operation (something like PG_id % Number_of_conns).  So all
requests to a PG from all clients will be eventually handled by one
of the cpu threads.  Something like that?

IMHO we should
consider it after the seastore (BTW: persistent object store is
worth ~200 kcycles / op accordingly to Mark's testing).

May I take a look on the link with numbers and what exactly persistent
object store you've mentioning?

--
Roman