Re: Seastore storage structure design consideration based on HLC and R-tree

> I added a few comments, my high level perspective is that it looks
> like an approach for dealing with multiversioned extents which might
> be a component of rados pool level point-in-time globally consistent
> snapshots for purposes like rados pool level cross-cluster
> replication.  However, that sort of thing would require a great deal
> of higher level support, so I'd consider the disk layout portion to be
> out of scope for now.  Is there another use case you are hoping to
> address with this?

Hi, sam. Thanks for reviewing the doc:-)

The main focus of this initiative is about doing efficient
replication/backup. Specifically, we intended to provide higher level
modules, especially to rbd and cephfs, the ability to do very high
rate snapshots (like one snapshot every 5 seconds or even multiple
snapshots within a second) and efficient snapshot diff and
export-diff.

We thought, with this ability, upper level applications can achieve
near real-time replication that can be compared to the common op-by-op
replication, but with less overhead. Because it doesn't involve any
extra replication-dedicated journal operations. And as multiple write
operations' targeting extents may overlap with each other, even the
op-by-op replication can also avoid extra journal operations, they
inevitably replicate overlapped extents multiple times, while, in
snapshot diff export, only the latest version of the overlapped
extents need to be replicated.

We thought maybe we can let upper layer applications to choose whether
to replicate their data instead of doing the replication forcibly at
the whole rados pool scale.

Whether this approach can really achieve that goal and whether to do
it is to be discussed, as we also realised that it may not be
cost-effective with respect to the amount of development work:-)

Thanks.