Re: ceph-volume simple disk scenario without LVM for OSD on PVC

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 4:34 AM Sebastien Han <shan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think to rehearse the list of features of LVM all the time is
> a valid argument as we are not even using 10% what LVM is capable of,
> and everything we do with it could be done with partitions.
> The only thing I see is a new layer that adds complexity to the setup,
> a tool that (as Alfredo said, "The amount of internals ceph-volume has
> to deal specifically with LVM is enormous") spends most its time
> figuring out how things are layered.
> I guess I'd be willing to accept LVM a bit more if someone can give me
> a single feature of LVM that we desperately need and that nothing else
> has.
>
> As of today, I don't think we have demonstrated the value of using LVM
> instead of block/partitions because, again, all the races we found
> with ceph-disk were ultimately fixed, and they did not apply to
> containers!

I would still be interested to see how (why) partitions created by
rook and then populated in /etc/ceph/osd/<id>.json does not work
for the purposes you've stated. It doesn't tie you to LVM which seems
problematic for you, and still allows you to do all the OSD
variations including dmcrypt.