Re: jenkins/build tox testing for cephfs-shell

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 1:43 AM Patrick Donnelly <pdonnell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not sure who to direct this to so asking here.
>
> Varsha Rao has a PR [1] to add tox testing for the cephfs-shell as
> part of the build testing. Unfortunately it seems this isn't done as
> part of the jenkins build, probably because cephfs-shell is not an
> install target for most platforms due to dependency issues.
> cephfs-shell is currently only a valid target for Ubuntu 18.04+. I see
> that jenkins is using Ubuntu for the build [2] but I'm not immediately

we use whatever test slaves labeled with trusty or centos7, see
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/blob/master/ceph-pull-requests/config/definitions/ceph-pull-requests.yml#L6.
in the "make check" run you referenced, the used slave was labeled
"jessie stretch trusty-pbuilder x86_64 bionic huge rebootable xenial
trusty amd64".

and it seems all of the trusty slaves are also labeled with xenial,
aside from the arm64 ones.

> sure which flavor. Maybe enabling cephfs-shell builds is just
> something that needs turned on the CMake flags for the jenkins build
> (-DWITH_CEPHFS_SHELL)?

i think, to test cephfs-shell with tox, in addition to
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/28239, we just need to

1. build ceph with -DWITH_PYTHON3=ON, as cephfs-shell is python3 only,
and it uses cephfs's python binding. because both debian/control and
ceph.spec.in require python3 development packages to be installed. so
presumably, all trusty and centos7 slave nodes should be ready for
building cephfs python3 binding, and for testing cephfs-shell.
2. add the runtime dependencies of cephfs-shell to debian/control and
ceph.spec.in as part of the "make check" dependencies, please search
"with make_check" in ceph.spec.in and search "# Make-Check" in
debian/control for examples.

there are two places we can add the -DWITH_PYTHON3=ON option,

- https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/blob/master/ceph-pull-requests/config/definitions/ceph-pull-requests.yml#L56
- https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/run-make-check.sh

i'd recommend to add this option in run-make-check.sh.

HTH.

> [1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/28239
> [2] https://jenkins.ceph.com/job/ceph-pull-requests/28553/consoleFull
>
> --
> Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
> He / Him / His
> Senior Software Engineer
> Red Hat Sunnyvale, CA
> GPG: 19F28A586F808C2402351B93C3301A3E258DD79D

Regards
Kefu Chai