Re: Proposal: ceph-iscsi branch/release concept

Hi Ernesto,

thanks for your feedback!

On 6/25/19 7:49 PM, Ernesto Puerta wrote:

> Interesting debate you brought up here, Lenz! Wouldn't want to divert
> from the original question, but...
>
> The interesting thing is that, as the paper says, BECAUSE of that
> monolithic approach Google couldn't keep on using P4 (as it no longer
> scaled enough) and had to build their own VCS.

Because they can :)

I personally think that git still scales quite well for a project of the
size of Ceph (in terms of contributors and code base).

> Besides, P4 (not sure if Piper follows the same approach) made really
> easy to setup up workspaces with cherry-picked dirs to sync (instead
> of whole repo clones). So IMHO the debate should not be only about
> mono-repo vs. multi-repos, but centralized mono-repo vs DVCS
> multi-repos.

But that would likely require more drastic changes, wouldn't it?

> In my experience this is also about the practices & cultures
> allowed/fostered by mono-repo vs. multi-repo ecosystems:
> - code, dirs & files vs. architecture, modules & interfaces
> - atomic (backward-breaking) changes vs. extending functionality while
> honoring APIs
> - code sharing/reuse/ownership vs. functionality sharing/reuse/ownership *
> - grep vs. documentation
> - #include dependency management vs. declarative dep. mgmt
> - build everything vs. delta builds
> - E2E testing vs. integration testing
> - 1 tool for everything (VCS) vs. pipelines (VCS, CI, artifact/release
> management, CD, etc.)
>
>   * mono-repos make really hard to share/spread code beyond the repo,
>
> BTW, here's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W71BTkUbdqE) a recorded
> talk about that paper, and it contains a few 'gems' ("Google solves
> dependencies by statically linking everything", "can do massive
> backward-incompatible changes... atomically").

Thanks for sharing your insights! I guess we would have to start with
collecting current pain points and concerns and then figure out if any
of these approaches would help to alleviate them. In my case, I outlined
the reasons for my proposal in my initial message. Having worked on
openATTIC as an independent project before, we really enjoy working on
the dashboard as a "built-in" component. Less surprises...

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)