Re: Proposal: ceph-iscsi branch/release concept

Interesting debate you brought up here, Lenz! Wouldn't want to divert
from the original question, but...

The interesting thing is that, as the paper says, BECAUSE of that
monolithic approach Google couldn't keep on using P4 (as it no longer
scaled enough) and had to build their own VCS.

Besides, P4 (not sure if Piper follows the same approach) made really
easy to setup up workspaces with cherry-picked dirs to sync (instead
of whole repo clones). So IMHO the debate should not be only about
mono-repo vs. multi-repos, but centralized mono-repo vs DVCS
multi-repos.

In my experience this is also about the practices & cultures
allowed/fostered by mono-repo vs. multi-repo ecosystems:
- code, dirs & files vs. architecture, modules & interfaces
- atomic (backward-breaking) changes vs. extending functionality while
honoring APIs
- code sharing/reuse/ownership vs. functionality sharing/reuse/ownership *
- grep vs. documentation
- #include dependency management vs. declarative dep. mgmt
- build everything vs. delta builds
- E2E testing vs. integration testing
- 1 tool for everything (VCS) vs. pipelines (VCS, CI, artifact/release
management, CD, etc.)

  * mono-repos make really hard to share/spread code beyond the repo,

BTW, here's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W71BTkUbdqE) a recorded
talk about that paper, and it contains a few 'gems' ("Google solves
dependencies by statically linking everything", "can do massive
backward-incompatible changes... atomically").

Ernesto