Re: Protocol not attached

Arnaldo, Leandro, -
| >> For the BAD and for last GOOD using HZ=250 I got:
| >>
| >> "warning: #warning Coarse CONFIG_HZ resolution -- higher value
| >> recommended for TFRC."
| >>
| >> Leandro.
| >>

| > BAD: Using CONFIG_HZ=1000 "Protocol Not attached"
| > GOOD: Using CONFIG_HZ=1000 "OK"
| >

| Tests using High Resolution Timers using BAD:
|
| 100hz OK
| 250hz OK
| 1000hz OK

This confirms that the cause of the problem was in not enabling
High-Resolution timers. There will then be the warning message in
the system logs saying that the timer resolution is too low.

I tried to find Leandros .config file again, it seems that high-resolution
timers were not enabled; the only other possibility is when passing
clocksource=jiffies (or something else coarse-grained).

The HZ variable is not really relevant here; you are still seeing this
messages since your version of the test tree is older than 2 weeks:
http://marc.info/?l=dccp&m=122451741426680&w=2

The fact that the CCID-3 module is not loaded when the timer resolution
is too coarse is not a bug, it is there to avoid problems that result
when using coarse-grained timers on high-speed interfaces: most PCs
laptops now come with Gigabit Ethernet per default, local loopback also
operates at high speeds; when using such interfaces I noticed several
problems as described in the commit message,
http://eden-feed.erg.abdn.ac.uk/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=dccp_exp.git;a=commitdiff;h=42c46151aedc99689341ac73131cd56c2aec55c4

Maybe it is a good idea to rethink the whole high-resolution timer
issue. I can see only two ways:

 (1) Consistently use coarse-grained timers everywhere (jiffy resolution)
     Ian McDonald suggested this, and I can see the advantages - we could
     unify RTT measurement for all the CCIDs, use a simpler implementation.

 (2) Consistentlly use high-resolution timers everywhere
     This would require to use the above protection in general. In a
     discussion about the build warning, Dave Miller suggested
     converting to high-resolution timers and he is right about it -
     if we decide to stick with high-resolution timers - since mixing
     high-resolution code (currently the computation of X_recv and RTT)
     with low-resolution code (dccp_xmit_timer) is neither here nor
     there and gives bad performance.

Arnaldo, Leandro and others - it would be good to have input on this. I
have looked into the conversion to high-resolution timers, but I have
doubt that it will improve the performance of CCID-3.

>From earlier discussion I know, Arnaldo, that you were in favour of
keeping the resolution high. But if we want to do that then I think we
need to convert the rest to high-resolution timers also. Or decide to
use (1).

Gerrit