Re: [Announce]: Test results with latest CCID3 patch set

Gerrit Renker ha scritto:
| I am new of this mailing list and I am really interested in the
| measurements you are performing with DCCP.
This was more of a regression test, as there had been recent changes in
the test tree, to see that the kernel (not userspace) still performs in
a predictable way.

| Which tool are you using ? Are you using Iperf for such measurements ?
The setup is the one from
	http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Net:DCCP_Testing#Regression_testing
and, yes, it uses iperf.

| Have you ever heard about D-ITG ?

| You can find more information here:
| http://www.grid.unina.it/software/ITG
| | I am one of the authors of such platform and I have also
| performed some very preliminary tests with DCCP.
| | I would be very glad to have your opinion on that and I'm very interested
| in improving its features, also with specific regard to the support of
| transport protocols.
| It is a very nice tool with many features. I only ran simple tests with it (version 2.6),
again only as basic sanity tests -- the throughput result was similar to the one tested with
iperf.

I think that the tool has more to offer and can help improve/extend DCCP testing.
Here is my list of points, hoping that the others will add theirs, too:

 * would be good to have a standardised set of scripts, for comparison/benchmarking

I can provide you the necessary support to verify the scripts and also to start to
set up them. However, I need to know what you would like to generate.

I have seen on the web page reported above the kind of tests you are performing with iperf, and I would like to provide you some some pieces of useful information
regarding D-ITG. This tool allows to set two random variables that control
the characteristics of traffic you generate. One of these variables models the Inter Departure Time (IDT) and the other one models the Size (PS) of the Packets. As of now, we support 6 random variables that are exponential, gamma, normal, pareto, cauchy,
and poisson. Clearly also constant IDT and PS can be set.

From the web page reported above I have seen that with iperf you generate CBR
traffic but I could not find the rate.

Moreover, in order to standardize the tests I need to know how you measure the obtained bit-rate. D-ITG can log at both sender and receiver sides different information for each sent and received packet respectively. Therefore after the tests you can obtain different information by analyzing the log files (with ITGDec). Regarding the bit-rate, you can have an average value related to the complete generation period as
well as related to smaller time intervals.

 * the built-in VoIP module only works for UDP -- is it possible to port this to DCCP?

The VoIP traffic is produced by setting an appropriate IDT and PS which are basically constant and printed out on standard output when a VoIP traffic flows is about to be
generated. Therefore, you can already perform VoIP tests with DCCP.
For more information you can have a look at D-ITG manual:
http://www.grid.unina.it/software/ITG/codice/D-ITG2.6-manual.pdf

If you can not find all the necessary information, just ask me.

* as per previous email, more complex traffic scenarios would be good, in particular
   - switching on/off background traffic at times to observe TCP/flow-friendliness

D-ITG supports multi-flow operation mode. In this case it reads the input information from a script file instead of the standard input. It uses a thread for each requested flow therefore the flows can have completely different characteristics in terms of kind of
traffic (IDT and PS models), duration, start time, and transport protocols.

- running multiple DCCP flows in parallel and at overlapping times

This is already possible thanks to the script mode.

Gerrit

Alessio
-