Re: [ANNOUNCE]: General remarks on patch submission

On 4/12/07, Gerrit Renker <gerrit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Folks,

please allow a few general comments to avoid further misunderstandings and complications.

Several of you are more from a research background than from a developer background. The diversity
on this list often creates communication differences which have a paralysing effect on progress:

 * often a patch submission breaks out into a discussion thread which continues for weeks and
   months, while the the patch meanwhile "brews" unchanged somewhere;

 * often parties defend their arguments from a wide range of diverse perspectives:
       o the draft/specification perspective;
       o one's own research agenda;
       o network safety;
       o operational stability of the implementation.
   Within one's scope one is of course right, but the perspectives are not all compatible.

 * One can only one thing at a time: research discussions or fixing implementation problems.
   There is only one time budget for both activities.

This is Linux. People are free to do what they want and how they want
it. It's up to the maintainer to decide what is bullshit comments and
time wasting and what is useful.

I sometimes go on but I do so because I believe in things strongly.
I've struggled to get my code in at times at the past and others like
Arnaldo and David have told me bluntly when I'm wrong and I just feel
stupid rather than blaming them.

So in short just because you get pissed off with the likes of things
that Eddie and I say I'm not going to change a damn thing. Look in the
mirror. I appreciate all the work that you've done and think you've
moved CCID3 forward more than me but this sort of email is totally
unneeded. Lean to work with the Linux community.

Ian
--
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4/
Blog: http://iansblog.jandi.co.nz