Re: [dccp] Packet size s on CCID3

Eddie Kohler wrote:

It is actually the opposite of what you say here. If you do the maths
and set s large then you can send more packets per second than what
you should be able to.

While this is true, note that the draft explicitly allows implementations to use the maximum segment size (i.e. the largest value possible) for s! So we are not THAT concerned about this kind of lying.

The bad case would be using one value of "s" to calculate "X", and then using a DIFFERENT value of "s" to calculate the packet rate from "X". As long as the same value of "s" is used to calculate "X" and to calculate the packet rate from "X", the "s"s cancel out, as Ian points out. For mostly-fixed-size applications, no problem; the network will provide whatever feedback is appropriate.

Why do we have "s" at all? "s" helps account for applications that vary their packet size over the long term. E.g., 20 RTT of packet size X, alternating with 20 RTT of packet size 3X. We do not have simulations demonstrating what affect an incorrect "s" value would have in such a situation. It would be interesting to see some data.

As Sally points out as well, the draft explicitly allows implementations to cancel out the "s" (by assuming s=MSS), calculating rates in packets per second only.

Eddie

That is consistent with my understanding.]

Thanks,

Gorry

P.S. I'm going through the TFRC-SP I-D in detail just now (with my WG Chair hat on).
-