Re: Proposed socket API change

Last time, vger ate this reply as possible spam, trying again.

Well, here's what I think about service codes. I think I speak for the authors here. This has all been said previously on the list FWIW.

* I think service codes should be part of the sockaddr for DCCP. The decision to make them a setsockopt() I think has made things harder. From 9/9/05:

> I agree with Arnaldo et al. here. The Service Code should be considered similar to a port. It is best to specify it at bind() time, rather than separately. The structure names may want some updating; sockaddr_in_dccp and sockaddr_in6_dccp, rather than sockaddr_dccp, for example. The servicecode member should finish off the structure, so that sockaddr_in is a prefix of sockaddr_in_dccp. And the code should be smart enough to supply a 0 service code if the sa_len corresponds to sockaddr_in instead of sockaddr_in_dccp.

* I am fine with the default service code being 0.  11/23/05:

> Again, there's always Service Code 0, which "represents the absence of a meaningful Service Code". This should be the default, if you desperately want a default.

* I am NOT fine, and have never been fine, with 0 acting as a *wildcard* in any way. Service code 0 acts like a specific service code in every way: if a Request with Service Code 1 arrived at a listening socket with Service Code 0, then the Request would be rejected with Bad Service Code. Likewise, if a Request with SC 0 arrived at a listening socket with SC 1, the Request would be rejected with Bad Service Code.

So to summarize, a default SC of 0 is fine, for either listening or active sockets, although we still think people should use real service codes. If the following comment suggests woildcarding, then that's not fine.

> So as to not compromise listening sockets, I was thinking of treating an `uninitialized' 0 on a server socket different from a service code = 0 which has been explicitly set by the application.

Eddie
-