Re: wrong behaviour when unsetting/setting some variables

On 27/02/2024 02:07, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
Hey.

Forwarding this from my report (for the records) at:

POSIX describes[0] unset to:
unset values and attributes of variables and functions

While the exact detials are perhaps a bit unclear (see the discussion
at [1], I
think it is rather clear that unset, on a variable that has no readonly
attribute,
shall case the variable/value binding AND any attributes to be unset.

There is even a related bug where it causes attributes to be *added*: under 'set -a', unset causes variables to be exported even if they previously weren't.

  set -a; unset foo; export

This is clearly wrong.

However, trying to fix this I come across a corner case where it is not clear to me what the intended behaviour is.

  set -a; readonly foo=bar; export # some shells export, not all

Cheers,
Harald van Dijk