Re: Interested in porting Dash to Readline

On 6/10/23 1:49 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
S M wrote in
  <DS7PR19MB445653200E02F41EB31397C5E351A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\
  ook.com>:
  |On Fri, Jun 09, 2023 at 11:29:15PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
  |> Quoting Dalai Lama (50 years in India jubilee) "it is all there".
  |> FreeBSD bin/sh/histedit.c:sh_matches() as well as :sh_complete()
  |> (all BSD licensed).
  |
  |So is it a licensing concern? I still think Readline is more

I do not think BSD-3-clause disallows bundling within GPL.
But i am a total licensing idiot.

Readline is licensed using GPL3. You may wish to check whether or not that
is compatible with dash's BSD licensing. That's something the dash folks
have to decide for themselves.

  |featureful as I have worked with both. I did poke around NetBSD's

It surely is.  (Much more so, but also fat.)

  |ash code and remember that it used an internal Libedit header
  |"filecomplete.h" or something along those lines to implement
  |filename completion. Not that porting or re-implementing such
  |internal routines would be particularly hard. If I recall correctly
  |there is a publicfunction in libedit named "_el_fn_complete"
  |that implements something along those lines.
  |
  |If it's a licensing problem then there's no way around it, though
  |I thought that GPL restrictions of this kind would only apply to
  |redistributed binaries linked against readline and not to the
  |source code itself.

Well it _could_ be possible to compile dash with any editing and
simply use "rlwrap"[1] (cudo Stephen Isard) to hook readline into
dash.  Then your effort has already ended.

If you use rlwrap, you don't have the insight into the internal state of
the application that allows you to do completion on anything more than
what readline understands natively (filenames, mostly).

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@xxxxxxxx    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/