Re: Interested in porting Dash to Readline

On Fri, Jun 09, 2023 at 11:29:15PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:

> Quoting Dalai Lama (50 years in India jubilee) "it is all there".
> FreeBSD bin/sh/histedit.c:sh_matches() as well as :sh_complete()
> (all BSD licensed).

So is it a licensing concern? I still think Readline is more
featureful as I have worked with both. I did poke around NetBSD's
ash code and remember that it used an internal Libedit header
"filecomplete.h" or something along those lines to implement
filename completion. Not that porting or re-implementing such
internal routines would be particularly hard. If I recall correctly
there is a publicfunction in libedit named "_el_fn_complete"
that implements something along those lines.

If it's a licensing problem then there's no way around it, though
I thought that GPL restrictions of this kind would only apply to
redistributed binaries linked against readline and not to the
source code itself.