Re: dash doesn't support switching LC_* during a script/session

On 17/02/2022 16:09, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
Hey.

On Wed, 2022-02-16 at 23:28 +0000, Harald van Dijk wrote:
You were right to guess that POSIX does mandate that shells support
locales. The lack thereof is a longstanding area of nonconformance in
dash.

Well actually it is conforming then, since POSIX indeed doesn't demand
support for any locales other than C/POSIX.

It indeed doesn't, but an implementation that supports locales is required to support them in all utilities, including sh. However...

My testing back then was a bit flawed, and I had thought that dash
would support locales and that just the switching fails.
But AFAIU now, it simply doesn't support them at all, and always runs
in C.

Which is btw. also ok for my purposes ;-)

...if you don't need that, that's good news for you. :)

Cheers,
Harald van Dijk