Re: dash doesn't support switching LC_* during a script/session

On 25/01/2022 04:59, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
Now I'm not really sure whether or not POSIX mandates that this should
work or whether it's unspecified.

You were right to guess that POSIX does mandate that shells support locales. The lack thereof is a longstanding area of nonconformance in dash.

To be fair though, I suspect it is also one of the lesser requested features, and getting all the details right is a rather large undertaking. It's doable in the current design, but it's not easy and there are a lot of non-obvious corner cases to consider. If this ever gets started, and locale support is something you are looking for, I would encourage you to help out by testing extensively.

Cheers,
Harald van Dijk