Re: [bug?] echo -n does not work as described

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:46:02PM -0500, Kevin Korb wrote:

> >> By the way, 'echo -n' is non-portable, and POSIX says you
> >> should use 'printf' instead.
>
> If dash refuses to supply a compatible version of echo then
> dash must not include a builtin version of echo.  If dash
> didn't have a broken embedded version of echo I wouldn't have a
> problem.

dash just claims to be compatible with POSIX, not with *sh. If
you look for something like this (lighter than bash but with many
of its features), glance rather at mksh:

  https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm

Now, I don't understand the present issue, all seems just work as
expected here (0.5.8):

 $ dash -c 'type echo; echo -n foo; echo foo'
 echo is a shell builtin
 foofoo

++
Seb.