Re: --with-libedit as default

2013/8/3, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> Maurício Antunes wrote:
>
>>                                              The reason why I think
>> it's a good idea is because this is what Posix demands, and many linux
>> distributions forget to add that option (maybe because they see dash
>> just as an efficient tool for scripts, not as a nice login shell).
>
> If you're thinking of Debian, it's not forgetfulness that causes
> them not to include the option. ;-)
>
> Can you say a little more about why the option should be enabled in
> distributions?  Do you use dash as an interactive shell?  Currently
> the dash package tries to be pretty small for the sake of minimal
> systems.  A build using readline (since that library is already part
> of the base system) might make sense, or it might make sense to bite
> the bullet and use libedit (which is after all only about 150 KiB).

Oh, I didn't know about that. I don't usually deal with system with
minimal resources.

I would like to use dash as an interactive shell. My motivation isn't
anything more serious than the fact that it has a small documentation,
which I can read and understand easily. Maybe my own memory is the limited
resource with which I have to deal :) My current shell uses tree  or
four initialization files, and I can never remember which one is read
when. Dash has only one (.profile). I like that.

Maurício