Re: Command parsing problem and tracefile

Hi Richard,

Richard H Lee wrote:

> First up, when I run a configure script and it hits the following line:
> if $_pkg_config --exists --print-errors $all_libav_libs ; then
>
> with $_pkg_config being 'pkg-config --static', dash throws the
> following error:
> ./configure: 6012: ./configure: pkg-config --static: not found

Thanks for writing.  Who is setting _pkg_config to 'pkg-config
--static', what are they trying to do, and can it be done another way?

This doesn't look like a dash-specific phenomenon.  I get the same
result with

	$ "pkg-config --static" foo bar
	dash: 1: pkg-config --static: not found

which looks right to me.  (You can test with 'CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/ksh
ksh ./configure'.)

[...]
> I would like to get some more info as to what in going on. IIRC, I
> saw in show.c, there was some sort for tracefile that dash to dump
> to. How do I enable this?

"dash -o debug" after a compile with DEBUG enabled.  Though "dash -x"
tends to be more helpful if you are debugging a shell script rather
than trying to find a bug in dash itself.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan