Some utf-8 characters are cut in the middle on redirections

$ touch ρ
$ echo 1 > ρ
$ ls
?  ρ
$ ls | hexdump -C
00000000  cf 0a cf 81 0a

dash "cut" the "0x81" from the "0xcf81" representation of the Greek
character rho, and so it created another file named "0xcf".

This only happens for a few utf-8 characters, not for all of them.
Relevant bug report:

Please CC me if possible, I'm not on the list.

Kind regards,
Alkis Georgopoulos