Re: SASL Auth not working SMTP with STARTTLS/SSL

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I don't know if I should laugh or cry, I've found the issue......

So I didn't use the -starttls because I was going directly to port 465 of the SMTP server (Sendmail, Postfix and Stunnel). Each time, if I used telnet to get to port 25 and test and was fine. As soon as I used openssl things went south. I could do it on 465, I could do it on 25 with the "-starttls smtp" , etc... and it always failed.

So it wasn't until I got onto a CentOS 8 system that when I tried, it actually closed with an error message "RENEGOTIATING SSL routines:SSL_renegotiate:wrong ssl version:ssl/ssl_lib.c". I googled and actually found https://noknow.info/it/postfix/solved_ssl_routines_renegotiate . Its apparently a "FEATURE" that if any of your input starts with "R", it'll renegotiate, and apparently "Q" quits. When I finally added "-silent" onto the command line, things worked everywhere.

Sorry for spamming.... It's amazing I couldn't find this info sooner. My system is up/running fine on the original setup with the old software.

Thanks all for the time!

Tuc

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 2:18 PM Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 12:42 PM -0400 Scott Ellentuch
<tuctboh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,

What is your exact openssl s_client command?

I.e., <http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_test>, you didn't
list that you used -starttls smtp as an option in your original email.

Regards,
Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount