ldap_saslauthd gssapi sasl indirect bind

Instead of just setting the cyrus sasl options to use kerberos5 mech,
I'm trying to use the ldap mech and then perform SASL bind to the
directory. This is so I can hopefully support either a uid or mail
attribute login. As I keep receiving an "authentication failed" error,
I'm guessing this might not be directly possible using saslauthd. Does
it only support a direct bind as the user attempting to authenticate
or can it support a bind to ldap as an administrative user who then
performs a search for the login user dn? For example, here is
saslauthd.conf:

ldap_auth_method: bind
ldap_use_sasl: yes
ldap_mech: GSSAPI