SASL on OS X Server 10.6.6

I'm trying to setup svnserve with SASL.

I have posted to several other lists concluding in that I have a Cyrus SASL configuration issue.

I have went back through the Cyrus SASL archives and I am currently going through the documentation. I was hoping the collective expertise found here could help me expedite the solution. I am on a OS X Server 10.6.6 machine.

If I execute the following command:

    saslpasswd2 -c -f /tmp/svn-sasldb -u PDS paul

I get prompted for the password, and prompted for verification, but the
sasldb does not get created (or at least I cannot find it).

Attempting the following:

    sasldblistusers2 -f /tmp/svn-sasldb

results in:

    check_db unsuccessful

On my behalf, Arek Dreyer pointed out the following:

    saslpasswd2[11095] <Error>: auxpropfunc error no mechanism available
    saslpasswd2[11095] <Debug>: _sasl_plugin_load failed on sasl_auxprop_plug_init for plugin: pwauxprop
    saslpasswd2[11095] <Notice>: setpass succeeded for somename
    saslpasswd2[11095] <Debug>: Setpass for OTP successful
    saslpasswd2[11095] <Notice>: OTP: set secret for somename

This is where I realize I am lost and in over my head.

`which saslpasswd2` returns:

   /usr/sbin/saslpasswd2

`saslpasswd2 -v` returns:

   This product includes software developed by Computing Services
   at Carnegie Mellon University (http://www.cmu.edu/computing/).

   Built against SASL API version 2.1.22
   LibSasl version 2.1.22 by "Cyrus SASL"

`saslauthd -v` returns:

    saslauthd 2.1.22
    authentication mechanisms: getpwent kerberos5 rimap

Reading the man page for saslauthd, I would conclude that my installation was not compiled with the sasldb authentication mechanisms. Did I at least get this correct? Am I getting close?

The man page goes on to state (concerning saslauthd):

    Authenticate against the SASL authentication database. Note that
    this is probabally not what you want to be using, and is even
    disabled at compile-time by default.  If you want to use sasldb
    with the SASL library, you probably want to use the pwcheck_method
    of "auxprop" along with the sasldb auxprop plugin instead.

Ahhhhh! Some correlation between the documentation and the output of syslog.

Would any one consider chiming in here, even if it's to tell me I barking up the wrong tree?

A succinct piece of advice, a pointer to pertinent documentation, or even some reluctant hand holding would be very welcomed and sincerely appreciated.