Re: checkpw.c crypt patch

David van Geest wrote:

I personally haven't used "saslauthd -> PAM -> pam:mysql" before, so I can't
give you any first hand experience. Maybe someone else can share their
knowledge on this.

p@rick
Digging into this more, seems like using a salt isn't even possible. Looking at the pam_mysql options on this page (http://pam-mysql.sourceforge.net/Documentation/package-readme.php?seemore=y) I don't see any way to add a salt from the DB into the crypt() function. However, if somebody knows more about this, I'm all ears.

-David

I also have not used mysql in this type of environment, but I think you should be able to accomplish what you want by doing saslauthd -> PAM -> NSS (pam_unix) -> NSS-MySQL

The nss library should have the knowledge of how to find the salt in the first two bytes of the crypt'd password.

I use an ldap nss module in a similar fashion, and my /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like:

passwd:         compat ldap
group:          compat ldap
shadow:         compat ldap

and in my /etc/pam.d/imap:

auth    required        pam_unix.so nullok_secure

and my saslauthd uses PAM for authentication.

Then you should be able to insert any password into MySQL that would be valid for your /etc/shadow file.

- Dan