Re: checkpw.c crypt patch

Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
* David van Geest <davidv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi All,

I'm working on getting Postfix to authenticate SMTP users from a MySQL DB which stores encrypted passwords. Various how-to's recommend cyrus-sasl, but it seems that to use it for encrypted passwords you need the checkpw.c+sql.c patch. The only version of this patch I can find (http://pieps.org/cyrus/dist/2.1.19/) is for cyrus-sasl-2.1.19. Has the patch been merged into later versions of cyrus-sasl, or do I need to use 2.1.19?

The/any patch breaks shared-secret mechanisms, which require plaintext
passwords.

Also if anyone has pointers on getting this going, I'd be happy to hear them.

No need to patch.

Use saslauthd -> PAM -> pam:mysql -> MySQL(crypted passwords)

p@rick
Thanks Patrick! I'm attempting what you suggest using pam:mysql. My /etc/pam.d/smtp.postfix looks like this:

auth optional pam_mysql.so user=<mysql_username> passwd=<mysql_pw> host=host.domain db=<db_name> table=<user_table> usercolumn=<user_column> passwdcolumn=<user_pass_column> crypt=1 account required pam_mysql.so user=<mysql_username> passwd=<mysql_pw> host=host.domain db=<db_name> table=<user_table> usercolumn=<user_column> passwdcolumn=<user_pass_column> crypt=1

A follow-up question: how does this work when using a salt? The DB admin wants to store the password hash and password salt in separate columns in MySQL, so it seems like I would need to add another option in the above lines to specify the salt column, so the salt value can be used with crypt().

-David

<http://www.spindance.com>