Re: Windows Interop

On Jan 12, 2007, at 11:55 PM, Howard Chu wrote:

Henry B. Hotz wrote:

On Jan 11, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
For a number of reasons (anyone following the embrace/extend/ extinguish testimony on groklaw?) even when a native Windows API exists, we've chosen to only support portable APIs if the parallel exists. Thus, our Windows builds of software use Cyrus libsasl and OpenSSL, not Windows SSPI. We use OpenLDAP's libldap, not the we- claim-it's-LDAP-honest API that Windows provides. In general I think this is the wiser course of action because it lessens our support burden, among other things.

Doesn't that make it harder to build your products?

Once, maybe. But it's a sunk cost we invested into our build system 7 years ago. In the end it makes support easier.

[. . .]

I have no interest in long-term maintenance; that's not how *I* make my living. Whatever I do should be stable enough to survive without me. That means its dependencies need to be on things that are stable, and actively supported elsewhere. "Support" for me, means someone else will support it if I build it and walk away.

I'm not sure if any of this directly addresses the question of how to provide SASL support on Windows. I can't see PostgreSQL being happy adding a capability that doesn't work on Windows. If someone were willing to build against KfW, then they could build the existing Krb5 support on Windows. PostgreSQL already has a rich selection of authentication methods, so their incremental gain isn't what you might expect from adoption of SASL.

My specific motivation is to provide an auth method that supports Kerberos in the Java client. I would still get that, but it's looking like I don't get as much beyond that as I hoped for.
Henry.B.Hotz@xxxxxxxxxxxx, or hbhotz@xxxxxxx