Re: saslauthd, sendmail, and AUTH

Thanks for the detailed response, Alexander.

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

/usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf says:

#pwcheck_method: saslauthd
pwcheck_method: shadow
mech_list: PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5

2 faults: a) with SASLv2 you can't use pwcheck_method shadow! It has either to be saslauthd or auxprop. b) using saslauthd you can't use shared secret mechs (CRAM-MD5 / DIGEST-MD5).
Thanks, I fixed these, although it didn't help.

I tried running saslauthd in debug mode but it printed out nothing when I invoked Sendmail.

sendmail.mc contains:
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5')
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS',`y,p,a')

You know what these parameters mean? If not please see in Sendmail's op.me doc file. You specify "y" which means that LOGIN and PLAIN will only be offered when a trusted connection is established: STARTTLS or SMTPS. As said before, offering DIGEST-MD5 is useless if you run (or need to run) saslauthd, because your auth credentials are stored in the shadow file.
Good point (though as it turns out the option in question is p, not y). Unfortunately I am having a problem with the op.me file. It crashes my Ghostscript, and when I do a text search for AUTH_OPTIONS (or even just OPTIONS), in either the nroff output or the nroff source, I come up empty.

TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN')

Your mech list in sendmail.mc does not match the list in Sendmail.conf, that is not good. Here because Sendmail now offers LOGIN while the SASL setup by Sendmail.conf does not list LOGIN as a possible mech. An attempt to use LOGIN will fail.
Ah, ok. Fixed (still fails). Now all three of the mechanism lists say LOGIN PLAIN.

BUT -- I changed the "a" to "A" and it works now! I can relay messages! Wonderful! Thanks so much for your help.

--
# __ __ Eric Ewanco # IC | XC eje@xxxxxxxxxx
# ---+---            http://www.ewanco.com/~eje