Re: need simple loop-aes advice

Jules Bellster wrote:
> I simply installed the hard drive into the new machine and on my
> *unencrypted* system everything works.

Does "everything works" mean "SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB-thing mounts and
works normally on new computer"?

Is this unencrypted system using same kernel + kernel config as the setup
that fails?

> Delaying /dev/sda mount for 15 seconds...
> sci 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access SanDisk Cruzer Micro
> sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 250879 512-byt hardware sectors (128MB)
> sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
> sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
> sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 250879 512-byt hardware sectors (128MB)
> sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
> sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
> sda:...delay complete, continuing

To me that looks like it is stuck detecting partition table, which isn't
present because you are mounting partition-table-less /dev/sda device.

> <6>usb 1-4: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
> usb 1-4: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2

My guess here is that device didn't respond in time -> timeout -> reset.

> At this point, the passphrase prompt does not show up but if I type
> characters they are echoed on the screen. Pressing Ctr-Alt-Del reboots the
> system.

My guess here is that code from initrd.gz is running mount() system call to
mount a file system from your USB-thing. And that mount() system call is
also stuck waiting for something, most likely in same place as the stuck
partition table detect code.

> At first I thought I didn't have usb 2 support built into my kernel on the
> usb disk, but I was mistaken (I do).

Does it work if you only include USB 2 driver in your kernel, with USB 1.1
drivers removed?

> Any advice on how to fix this would be great.

Are there any power-saving/sleep-mode settings in the BIOS of that new
computer that power down devices at "wrong" time?

Posting loop-AES version, build-initrd.sh config, kernel version,
(compressed) kernel config, and bootloader config may help.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-