Re: My new problem with running losetup at boot time for encryptedroot.

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Jari Ruusu wrote:

roconnor@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I guess that there is something strange going on between how losetup calls
gnupg and how gnupg gets and manipluates the console to prompt for and get
the password (without echoing to the console), but I really don't know how
to proceed to debugging this.  Maybe someone more familiar with losetup
and the linux boot process may have some idea what may have changed in
this Kubuntu upgrade that would cause the problem I described.

Password prompt comes from losetup that calls getpass() library funtion.
Then losetup starts gpg and sends the password to gpg via a pipe.

Can you make sure that a /dev/tty device node exists at the time losetup
runs in your boot script? If I remember correctly, getpass() library funtion
opens /dev/tty device.

Apparently the /dev/tty didn't exist at the time losetup was called. I added code to wait for /dev/tty in addition to the wait for /dev/sda. I suppose in principle I should wait for /dev/loop0 as well.

Now it works again. The wait time is not actually perceivable by me. Thanks for your quick help.

-