My new problem with running losetup at boot time for encrypted root.

I'm running an encrypted root Kubuntu system. Yesterday I upgraded to Kubuntu 9.04 thus moving from a 2.6.27 to a 2.6.28 kernel. I understand the problem with the new kernel, and have download a proper kernel from <http://ubuntu.cern.ch>, so this is not my problem. I am running loop-aes version 3.2f-1cern1+2.6.28-14.47.

I have added an losetup command in a custom
/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/loop_aes file. After doing some sanity checking the last line in my file is:

/sbin/losetup -v -T -e AES256 -G / -K /keyfile.gpg -s [CENSORED] /dev/loop0 /dev/sda

Please note that I have successfully been using this setup for around 2 years before now. (Techinically I added the `-v' and `-T' flags today. The `-v' didn't seem to add any information).

After the update, when I get to this point in the boot sequence, the command no longer prompts for a Password. Instead it now immediately fails with a gpg decryption failed error, the same error you get if you don't answer the password correctly.

After this failure I drop down into busybox (because it times out wating for the /dev/loop0 device which is the root device). The strange bit is that in busybox I can type in that exact losetup command and it works properly. It prompts for my password, and creates the loop device properly. I can exit busybox and then booting continues normally.

I also tried adding the flag `-p0' to the losetup command. This also works. Of course, there is no prompt, and the password appears in plain text on the console. Obviously that isn't an acceptable solution.

I added the `cat' command before the losetup call to test the console. It works as expected.

I guess that there is something strange going on between how losetup calls gnupg and how gnupg gets and manipluates the console to prompt for and get the password (without echoing to the console), but I really don't know how to proceed to debugging this. Maybe someone more familiar with losetup and the linux boot process may have some idea what may have changed in this Kubuntu upgrade that would cause the problem I described.

Thanks for any help. I'd love to get loop-aes working nicely for me again.

-