Re: loop-aes: make tests fails: Device busy

Jens Lechtenboerger wrote:
> when doing "make tests" for loop-aes v3.2e, I get the following
> error (for different invocations after different numbers of tests):
> /sbin/losetup -d /dev/loop7
> ioctl: LOOP_CLR_FD: Device or resource busy
> If I put "sleep 1" before the three invocations of "losetup -d" then
> all tests are passed ("*** Test results ok ***").
>
> Is it safe to use an encrypted root partition in this case?
> Might data get lost upon shutdown?

I will try to reproduce this when I have more time.

My advice at this time is avoid using it until this problem is sorted out.

Not sure if this is related to above problem, but 'losetup -d' is not
entirely race free. If a loop device has been opened by some process or
another copy of losetup reading loop device status (losetup -a), then
'losetup -d' will fail with "Device or resource busy" error. This may happen
even when it is held open only for a tiny fraction of a second.

So, this problem may be solved by figuring out who/what opens or probes the
loop device.

Does it help if you force 'make tests' to use another loop device? Something
like this:

    make tests TLD=/dev/loop6

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-