Re: regarding the cold-boot attack

* Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The only question for loop-aes is, when used in V3-Mode with 65 keys,
> does it allow to "shuffle" the keys fully or at least partially.

I haven't looked at the source, but I guess the keys are right next
to each other in memory and not scattered. It's logical to write code
like that.

> I mean IF you can't pair with 65 keys belong to each other, you
> don't need that many keys to make an attack this way as impratical
> as an attack against the keys itself.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. My thoughts were along the
lines of spamming the memory with keys, obscuring the actually used
ones and also applying a multi-layer loop-crypto setup like tripl,
http://tripl.sourceforge.net/

> But i don't think this is the case, with no memory decay at all,
> you should be able to find data wich loop devcies existed and which
> keys belong to them, just like loop-aes has to know that
> information itself.

What we lack is a DRAM chip database about memory decay. Concerning
desktops and laptops, there are numerous ways to slow down or even
prevent the removal of intact chips. (superglue, enclose the chips
with a strong fine metal band that contracts significantly if cooled
down sufficiently and thus destroys the chip physically, a small EMP
device to fry the chips, deadman switch, in-wall setups, ...)

Servers, well, ...

Also, what effect does overclocking have on memory decay?

> So with an attack-tool specifically designed for loop-aes, the gain
> (even with hundreds of loops) shouldn't be more than single digit
> seconds.

Yes, but that both depends on the setup used and on a non-decayed
memory image (in places where the key material resides).

--
left blank, right bald
loop-AES FAQ: http://mareichelt.de/pub/texts.loop-aes.php#faq