Re: the cold-boot attack

Andreas Engelbert wrote:
> Jacob Appelbaum schrieb:
>> Boyd Waters wrote:

>>> That's good, but any hacker or other computer-forensics person will not
>>> allow the computer to shut down. They'll just pull the plug. Quickly.
>>>
>> Actually. It's likely that they're going to just use one of these devices:
>> http://www.wiebetech.com/products/HotPlug.php
>
>> Good luck stopping that. :-(
>

> Iknow Iknow, the question is not "are you paranoid?" but "are you
> paranoid enough?" (especially on this list) ;)

No one on this list is paranoid enough as far as any other list members
are concerned. I'm pretty sure of that. ;-)

> - From what I've heard about forensic practise in my country is, that they
> usually ring the door bell and show the suspect the search warrant, wich
> might give him the chance to react when prepared for it.

Great. Thieves don't always knock.

> If you are expecting a SWAT team breaking in while asleep, well then
> good night and good luck anyway.

It was thought that this wasn't the case. It's important that people
understand this threat.

> Still, more elaborate countermeasures
> like intrusion detection and acceleration sensors inside the box might
> do the trick.

Monitoring for low temperatures, intrusion detection, adequate panic
routines in software and a little bit of luck may protect you.

Let the world know when you've got such a system, I'd like to use it
myself. I promise to verify before I trust it. :-)

Regards,
Jacob Appelbaum

-