Re: Kubuntu 7.10 64bit

* markus reichelt <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This should be no problem. The /proc filesystem is usually mounted
> > by the script and mount -[U|L] relies just on /proc/partitions.
>
> On a sidenote: Have you tried Alon's approach yet? I like the idea of
> using kernel boot parameters to reflect changes in one's system.

What do you mean with "Alon´s approach"? Did I miss a posting? Manpage for mount says:

"-L label
Mount the partition that has the specified label.
-U uuid
Mount the partition that has the specified uuid.  These  two  options  require  the file /proc/partitions to exist."

As no one seems to have done this, I suppose the build-initrd.sh
script can´t build an appropriate initrd for this. The
unencrypted /boot partition is defined like "BOOTDEV=/dev/hda1"
and mounted as /lib. Using UUID would need an initrd mounting
/lib with "mount -U" and then the uuid or label given in the
script. I hoped someone had experience with this and so either
tell me that it is a good idea or just a waste of time to ask
for this. Most likely I´ll do some testing, also because of
this issue with language support from kernel parameters. Good
passphrases definitely require some µs and euro signs in them. A
full graphical password terminal with mouse support and all UTF-8
characters would be godlike :-)

Kind regards
Peter

-