Re: raid1 with loop-aes

Sure, that is a better way! Previously superblock was encrypted too (what information it contains?)

But why should one write:

losetup -d /dev/loop1
mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 /mnt -o loop=/dev/loop1,encryption=AES128,gpgkey=/etc/foo.gpg

insted of just:

mount /dev/loop1 /mnt ?

********************
Here I'll provide some information about how I set up my raid1 array for data storage:

1. create 2 partitions of equal size (looks like it can be a little different) on separate disks
2.  install mdadm and execute these commands:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/hda2 /dev/hdb4

# if that makes an error, probably there was no /dev/md0 (use mknod)!
# after this command kernel synchronises both disks. To watch progress, execute "watch -n 1 cat /proc/mdstat"
# I don't know how safe it is to proceed before synchornising is complete.
losetup -e AES128 -K /etc/foo.gpg /dev/loop1 /dev/md0
mkfs -t ext2 /dev/loop1

# if you want to write some information, mount /dev/loop1 and do it here!

losetup -d /dev/loop1

3. To make usage of encrypted raid1 convenient, I updated my gentoo's init scripts:

a) in checkroot init script after root partition has been checked insert

ebegin "Starting multi disk array"
	/sbin/mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/hda2 /dev/hdb4
	echo "20+ character password" | losetup -p 0 -e AES128 -K /etc/foo.gpg /dev/loop1 /dev/md0
eend $?

# use chmod to make file readable only to root
# these lines could be inserted anywhere else before filesystems in /etc/fstab are mounted (but make sure, that they will be executed!)

b) update /etc/fstab:
/dev/loop1 /mountpoint ext2 defaults 0 2

c) reboot to see, if everything works ok!

How big vulnerability is that password written in init file?

--
Jan

-