Re: newbie: Speed of loop-aes

Markus Huehnerbein wrote:
Hi List,

I did some performance tests using the benchmark bonnie++ to evaluate
different disk encryption possibilities. The results regarding loop-aes
are a bit strange for my understanding. I ran the tests on a notebook
with Debian Etch, 1GB RAM and a Linux 2.6.22.2 Kernel.

Bonnie was startet with the following parameters:
bonnie++ -b -u root -s 4000

As a result loop-aes has a sequential input (block) of 29127 K/sec where
the sequential input with no encryption is 25123 K/sec. The same with
sequential output (block) (loop-aes: 27633 K/sec and no encryption:
24267 K/sec).

What I don't understand is how encrypted reads and writes per block
could be faster as plaintext reads / writes? Any comments are welcome!

Now I know very little about the bonnie++ benchmark, but it says that

4MB is way to little to show anything. Factors like caching and process overhead (which benchmark did you run first?) and other similar factors will dominate. Try with at least 4GB. Since the bonnie program test for database-like access according to it's website, it will probably not make much sense before you test it with file sizes significantly larger than the main memory.

If you have not set hdparm, sometimes DMA is not used by the kernel. This is the safest on some buggy (but common) mainboards, and may be the default on your system. If this is set, non-encrypted writing will be much slower than it need to be. Read the manual page for hdparm.

With DMA enabled, the null cipher (that is no encryption) can be as slow as an encrypted filesystem, because what slows things down is that the block has to be copied into RAM.

Kind regards,
Markus

P.S.: The bonnie++ output:
LOOP-AES:
 ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
 -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
4000M 18554  59 27633   7 13696   3 18922  77 29127   4 102.3   0

NO ENCRYPTION:
 ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
 -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
4000M 24085  77 24267   6 11978   3 24825  75 25123   3 103.9   0

-

-