Re: 2.6.XX kernel for encrypted root

Wow, Jari, I don't even know how to thank you about such a kindness!
Let me explain my question: after downloading a ubuntu-patched kernel sources, I copied existing configuration and changed only required options for USB booting, then built kernel, but, when I immediately tried to boot that kernel, it was panicking. So I just want to know if recompiled kernel is supposed to boot normally? (I think - yes. Previous custom-built kernel for loop.ko in example-2 was working o.k.)

And one more thing, that confuses me: if rebuilt kernel must be copied to USB, then I guess, it is loaded from there, so is second kernel image copy on hard disk still necessary? And, if booting form USB, it turns out, GRUB / lilo isn't necessary for encrypted partition, right?

PS: after kernel recompilation I'm about to try gentoo - looks like it has better documentation and, I hope, bigger chance to learn something :)