Re: what is -lcrypt?

On 12.07.2007 18:57, Jan Klod wrote:
> Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
>> It means just "crypt", which in turn actually means libcrypt.
>>
>> Most probably you are missing a development-package.
>> AFAICT libcrypt comes with glibc2, in Debian distribution it is packaged
>> alongside the libc inside the libc6-package. Which effectivly means that
>> it is impossible to not have it.
>>
>> Your distribution (which?) appears to have it broken down a little bit
>> different.
>>
> I'm using ubuntu. The bad news for me are: libc6 & libc6-dev were already
> there before installing

Debian has a package "apt-file" and as Ubuntu is based on Debian it
may have that package too.

After installing it and "apt-file update"ing once you can 'apt-file search'
for all packages containing the specified file.

In case Ubuntu has broken down the packages differently you should be
able to find it that way.

> Looks like I am stuck with installing AES (I recompiled ubuntu kernel
> 2.6.17.14, followed AES readme)... I will let you know, if I find a
> solution.
>
> PS: I hope that's not a problem, if I answer private posts back to list?

Ups.
And i wondered why my posting didn't turn up on the maillinglist.

I'm using mutt for writing e-mail only since a few days ago when the
last release introduced the feature to send mails to a specified
SMTP-Server. (Up to that release the local MTA had to be configured
right. So i used Thunderbird to actually write my mails as i never found
out how to configure a Smart-Host that requires SMTP-Auth)

To make a long story short, i accidentally press 'reply' instead of
'group reply'. :-)

Bis denn

-