Re: Status in 2007 of: loop-aes VS dm-crypt VS truecrypt

Hi!

You seem to be looking for something. Are you interested in sophisticated algorithms or transparent, straight forward full medium encryption? I cannot argue about dm-crypt or truecrypt but loop-aes works. The extra time you have to spend on things like kernel compiling is a good investment in security.
If you want to take a look at loop-aes I suggest you take KNOPPIX which features loop-aes out of the box. You may encrypt a drive and test read/write performance. Loop-aes is optimized for amd64. Furthermore it is capable of encrypting the whole system which means you start the PC from removable USB media. No partition table and no plain text boot sector remain. Your concern about kernel updates is causeless. The sources of a new kernel are installed and configured within the existing encrypted system. A successfully built kernel may then be copied to USB media and booted.
I hope I could resolve some of your doubts. In case you decide to use loop-aes you can ask questions here at any time and we will try to find answers;-)

Kind regards,
Peter

-