Re: kernel messages

Hi Torsten,

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 09:03:24PM +0200, Torsten72 wrote:
> I am using the precompiled debian loop-aes-modules-2.6-686 which has
> keyscrubbing enabled.
> But when modprobe is run to load the loop module from inside the initrd
> I just get this:
> loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
> When using modprobe on the fully booted system (after rmmod loop) I get
> this:
> loop: AES key scrubbing enabled
> loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
> If I rmmod again and use insmod instead (fully booted system) there is
> no key scrubbing line:
> loop: loaded (max 8 devices)

Could you check if modprobe -v loop shows the same path
you pass to insmod if you load it manually?

The loop-aes-* Debian packages for 2.6 kernels install loop-AES
modules (including loop.ko) into /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates.
modprobe from module-init-tools makes modules in this directory
take precedence over modules from the kernel/ directory.

If you loaded kernel/drivers/block/loop.ko using insmod and
modprobe used updates/loop.ko, it could explain the difference.

> The loop.ko in the initrd is the same version as on my root
> filesystem, I checked that.
>
> What's going on here?

Based on the above, I would guess that the normal loop.ko
(kernel/drivers/block/loop.ko) got included in the initrd.
Perhaps loop-AES was installed after the initrd was built? If
not, we would need to check the initrd generator, perhaps it
doesn't take into account the updates/ directory.

cheers,
Max

-