Re: LUKS and loop-AES

* "Leo B." <spam-goes-to-dev-null@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I will set up a fileserver configuration with > 1 TB disks in two
> weeks and I'm also wondering if I might use LUKS already because
> that configuration will be used for several years.

IF it's not too late...

I still consider dm-crypt as beta soft at best and thus don't regard
it as suitable for a production system. Compared to loop-aes it lacks
stability and is less secure, an ongoing patchwork towards a somewhat
secure crypto implementation.

In 2.6.18.6 they fixed a bug causing data corruption on RAID5, see
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0612.2/0606.html

OTOH, I don't know how things (for loop-aes) might look if the kernel
gurus decide to drop loop support altogether (e.g. remove loop
support from mainline kernels). Looks like this isn't gonna happen in
the near future. I know some dm-cryp guys claim to have successfully
switched from loop-aes to dm-crypt and written howtos about it.

--
left blank, right bald